We know that event planning is a mighty task, consuming a lot of time and energy. From the smallest meet and greet to large corporate functions, finding a venue and planning is essential. So let us help you with the number one task of event planning… finding the venue. Our website makes it easy to search for an event venue in Melbourne based on your specific criteria.
Browsing for that perfect space, but not sure what to focus on? Here's a handy list of things to keep in mind:
- Guest capacity and layout – when considering function venues in Melbourne, the first thing you need to consider is capacity and layout. Draw a rough sketch of what you envisage your venue layout to look like. This will help you, and others, know exactly what it is you’re looking for.
- Facilities & infrastructure – a very important factor to consider is what facilities and infrastructure you require. What does the venue provide and what do you need to hire in? Bars, tables, chairs, stage, sound, lighting, etc. Never assume the venue has everything! The cheapest venues will usually provide an empty room only!
- Services & catering – when it comes to catering, decor service, cleaning, etc. - are you looking for venues that provide all those services? Or do you want to keep the costs down by doing it yourself or bringing in your own service providers? Following on from facilities and infrastructure, know exactly what you want, what the venue can provide, and what’s included in the fee. Keep in mind Melbourne is a big city with loads of service providers to choose from. Find out what your venue provides and then shop around to see if outside service providers can do it cheaper or better.
- Weather - When planning an outdoor event, consider the time of year. Unique event venues like rooftops, courtyards, and gardens can be incredible settings, however, you don’t want the rain to damper on the party... pun intended. Here are some quick weather guides for outdoor events in Melbourne:
The wettest months: May - October (average of 8 wet days per month)
Coldest months: June - September (average low of 8℃)
If you are having an outdoor function, chat to the venue manager about the best time of year and what fallbacks they have for when it rains.
Now, what about the money part? We've listed some estimates for event spaces hire rates in Melbourne:
- Most venues in Melbourne work on either minimum spend, price per person or hire fee per day or session pricing models. Which model is best for you will depend on the type of event you are planning and the number of guests.
- For small events, you can budget on a minimum of $200 for venue hire. For large event, expect to spend anywhere from $2,000 to $40,000.
In some cases, the location of the event is as important as the event itself. Here are some of the best places to host an event in Melbourne.
- Melbourne CBD – the heart of multicultural Melbourne! If you are looking for a vibrant location, the Central Business District of Melbourne is where you need to be. There is no shortage of venue options in the CBD and you’ll find a space for every occasion.
- Southbank, Melbourne – with its lively social atmosphere, Southbank is a great location for a lively event. This culturally rich suburb is situated on the south side of the Yarra River and boasts a diverse range of restaurants and bars with incredible views of Melbourne city skyline.