Looking for an event venue with the wow factor? Melbourne is jam-packed full of unique function venues and we’ve got some serious contenders in store just for you. Whether you’re planning a bridal shower, a wedding reception party, a special dinner party or, in fact, a party of any kind, we’ve got you covered with some of the most spectacular, unique event spaces out there. To top it all off, we’re happy to share some of our own savvy tips on finding and booking a unique event space in Melbourne. Check them out below!
- Step off the beaten track. This might be our favourite tip! Step off the beaten track and open endless possibilities for unique event spaces in Melbourne. Not only do we list the best venues in central locations, we know the rest too! Melbourne is teeming with hidden gems that won’t break the bank and are sure to leave you inspired. You’ll be surprised to see what you can find with us!
- The vibe of your event. No matter what you have in mind, we’re ready to help you find a unique event space to match. Planning to set up a pop-up store with boho-style home decor? We’ve got a range of bright and airy lofts on offer, along with some really charming outdoor venues. Organising a wild night out? With us, you can choose from Melbourne’s most quirky event spaces, including party buses, Japanese-style nightclubs with hot tubs and entire train carriages. Think about what would suit your event best and have a look at what we have in store!
- Any additional features you might need? Keep in mind that if you decide to hire a more unusual venue it might not have all the necessary facilities on-site. Note down all the stuff you need for your event and ask the venue manager what they can offer and what you need to arrange yourself.
If you’re looking for unique event space options in Melbourne, then there are plenty of spectacular locations to choose from. Get inspired and take a look at the most popular areas below!
- CBD. Melbourne's CBD is a prime location when it comes to unique event spaces and offers some of the coolest around! Known for its trendy character, there's no shortage of places to hold a party. From quirky hidden bars with secret entrances to lavish and opulent terraces, there really is something for everyone.
- South Yarra. Famous as one of Melbourne's most fashionable suburbs, this area really boasts the goods! With its beautifully restored buildings and swanky boutiques, South Yarra offers some of the most unique event spaces in Melbourne. Stylish, cosy, modern and everything in between, this affluent area is definitely up there with the best.
Want to make your next event even more unique? Check out our creative ideas, themes, and tips
for a one-of-a-kind happening! Get inspired and put your favourite suggestions into practice. You will not be out of ideas for your events ever again!
Unique Event Spaces in Melbourne FAQ
How much does it cost to hire a unique event space in Melbourne?
When you're looking for unique event spaces in Melbourne, the average price for a venue is about $800-$1,500 per session. If you want catering included in your booking, expect to pay around $1,000-$3,000+ per session. When you're looking for unique event spaces for hire in Melbourne, you might feel like you have a lot of options—but if you're on a budget, cheaper dry hire venues or those with external catering and BYO will enable you to save on other services you choose to book while staying within your budget. These venues cost about $250-$500 per session. (All data from Tagvenue.)
What kind of unusual venues can I hire in Melbourne?
Melbourne is a city of many surprises. You can find people from different cultures and backgrounds—and their cuisines! While Melbourne is known for many things—university life, sporting events, multiculturalism—it’s also home to a dizzying array of quirky restaurants, unique bars and outlandish party venues, we've got the perfect spot for you. Whether you want to host a unique wedding, an exotic cocktail party or even an escape room in the mysterious warehouse, there are plenty of unique event spaces for hire in Melbourne. It's time to think outside the box and bring your event up to a whole new level of awesome!
What are some of the best unusual venues in Melbourne?
- The Wizard's Den Room at The Wizard's Den. If you're looking for a venue that's magical and mesmerizing, look no further. The bar has been decorated as a wizard's den and includes props from popular fantasy films like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and can hold up to 25 people, making it ideal for intimate events such as birthday parties or team-building events. You can also create your own cocktails using ingredients such as chocolate liqueur and peppermint schnapps. Perhaps alchemy is real? This is the perfect place to create an immersive escape room-style cocktail experience—a memorable, one-of-a-kind celebration that leaves guests talking about it for years.
- Mushroom Palace at Storyville. When you're looking for a venue to host your next event, who says it has to be a boring old ballroom? A little whimsy can go a long way. And when you're hosting an event in Melbourne, there's no better place than Storyville—the fairy-tale-themed bar where your favourite stories come to life. The space can hold up to 100 and is perfect for those who want their childhood dreams to come true. From giant peaches that are actually cocktails to edible insects (yes, really), your guests will fall head over heels for this whimsical wonderland.
- Old Melbourne Gaol. With its incredible history, this is one of the most unique event spaces in Melbourne. With a capacity of up to 250 people, this is a city icon that offers you the opportunity to explore its original charm. This space is perfect for those who are after something a little more unusual, and it retains the integrity of its original building while offering a blank-shell opportunity with unrivalled creative potential. With multiple options for a glam or grunge vibe, this space will help you recreate your dream event—no matter what that dream looks like.