Conference Venues Hire Guide
Searching for the perfect conference venue in Melbourne, but not sure what to consider? Don’t stress it – we’re here to help you out. Apart from simply listing Melbourne’s top conference venues all in one place, we’re also happy to share our expert knowledge on event planning. Check out Tagvenue’s ultimate guide below!
Trying to choose the perfect space for your next conference in Melbourne? It’s good to keep the following things in mind:
- The desired ambience – All great events begin with a vision. What’s yours? Are you picturing a bright and airy conference room with a view on the Sydney Harbour, or a state-of-the-art modern conference centre with all the lights dimmed out and a single reflector on your keynote speaker? Whatever it is, we’ve got you covered – with our variety of venues you’re sure to find a space that will make it possible for your vision to become reality.
- The date of your conference – A really wise practice is to start by checking the calendar of events in your field. You don’t want to force your attendees to make a choice between your conference and another interesting industry meetup! It’s also good to have a couple of alternative dates in mind. This approach increases your choice of venues and gives you more flexibility.
- Budgeting – If you’re the organiser of the conference, you’re probably working with a limited budget. The best way to save as much as possible is by picking multiple dates two to three months before the actual event and calculate your estimated expenditure/income. Will attendees pay? Do you have any sponsorships that bring in extra funds?
- The anticipated number of attendees – How many people are you expecting to attend your conference? Is the number closer to 100 or 1000? Melbourne boasts a wide choice of conference venues that come in all shapes and sizes, so no matter how big (or how small) the event, you’re sure to find a space that’s just the right fit. The right approach is to choose a venue which is designed just for the number of people you’ve estimated. This will make your event more lively and engaging. There is no point in hiring a space you won’t be able to fill – it’s expensive and doesn’t encourage your attendees to mix, mingle and socialise.
- The facilities you’re going to need – Flipcharts, whiteboards, microphones, projectors, TV screens – it’s best to write them all down and ask the venue manager what they’re able to provide on the day, and what you need to arrange yourself.
- The catering – Are you planning to work with an external caterer? Make sure it’s possible in the venue of your choice. Some conference venues in Melbourne work with approved caterers only, while other ones are OK with BYO. As always, communication is the key!
- The accessibility – If you know that some of your attendees have reduced mobility, remember to check if the location you’ve picked has disabled access. Most conference venues in Melbourne are designed accordingly, but it’s always better to double check, isn’t it?
Alright, down to the very important question. How much does it really cost to hire a conference venue in Melbourne? We’ve got all the answers based on our platform data. Check them out below!
- The majority of conference venues in Melbourne offer special all-inclusive conference package deals. These often make really great value for money! A typical conference package covers the costs of the venue hire, conference facilities and the catering. The average cost per person is around $60.
- A comparably large number of conference venues in Melbourne is priced with a hire fee, which covers the costs of using the space only. The prices start at as little as $250 for a couple of hours and may range up to $5000 for full day hire. The final quote depends on many factors, including the size, the facilities and the location of the venue.
- Another conference venue pricing option you might stumble upon is the minimum spend on food and/or drinks. You can either pick three-course menus for long conferences or simply a choice of small refreshments for shorter meetups. The usual minimum spend rates for conference venues in Melbourne typically range between $1300 for smaller and $4000 for larger spaces.
What are the most popular areas for conferences in Melbourne? Venues in Melbourne Central Business District unquestionably remain the most sought-after ones – which is hardly a surprise, with the CBD being one of the most prominent corporate hubs in Australia. Other popular districts include:
- Eastern Suburbs – Stretching from Boroondara through Wantirna and all the way to the Yarra range, Melbourne’s Eastern Suburbs offer an interesting choice of conference venues.
- Southbank – Famous for Crown Melbourne and the Eureka Tower, Southbank is bursting with life and boasts heaps of opportunities for organising a conference to remember. Here’s where you can choose from dozens of modern spaces that are sure to leave your guests talking!
- Port Melbourne – Located on the transport corridor from east to west Melbourne, this upscale coastal suburb is close to the heart of all action – perfect if you’re looking for a central venue with a view on Port Philip Bay!
- Melbourne Airport – Expecting a lot of guests arriving from overseas? Your best bet is to hire a conference venue located close to Tullamarine Airport. The area is full of hotels with conference rooms to choose from.
Frequently asked questions:
How to make choosing a conference venue in Melbourne easier and less stressful? Any handy tips?
We think it’s good to start with a checklist, so you won’t forget a single detail that matters. We’ve got one that works for us and is sure to come in handy while planning your event. You can check it out on our blog and try it yourself!
How do I find a cheap conference venue in Melbourne?
At Tagvenue we’re listing spaces suitable for every budget, so you’re sure to be able to pick one that has just the right price tag. A good tip is to search for small venues, which usually tend to be much more affordable. And again, you don’t want to hire a space you won’t be able to fill, right? Another good idea is to focus on off-peak dates. Conference venue prices tend to be lower on the less popular days, so if you manage to pick a good event date, you might end up saving as much as 50% on the hire fees!
Wondering how you can ensure the best possible experience for your delegates? Or maybe you’re looking for ways to take your conference off the beaten track? We have something for you! Head over to our blog and browse through various conference planning ideas
that will make your event professional, engaging, and successful.
FAQs about Conference Venues in Melbourne
How much does it cost to hire a conference venue in Melbourne?
Conference venues in Melbourne come in all shapes and sizes as well as at different price points. On average, hire fee per day can be found anywhere from $200 to $6500, while rates per person will come in around $25 to $150. When it comes to minimum spend, you can expect to pay as low as $400 per session or $900 per day. (All data from Tagvenue.com platform).
What should a conference room have?
If you want your conference to run smoothly you may need some of these:
- Whiteboard - to make important notes that are visible for all the participants.
- Comfortable chairs - so that attendees can focus on the presentation.
- Projector - to be able to show slides.
- Functioning A/V equipment - depending on the size of the room, you may need to have a microphone to make sure everyone can hear you. Also, you will be showing videos or presentations with sound effects, you will need a sound system.
- Stable WiFi - this is a must nowadays. With stable WiFi you will be able to show videos and websites uninterruptedly, send notes via email if necessary, or set up video conferencing.
What can a conference room be used for?
Conference rooms are best for large or formal events. Their specific type of seating layout is often used for lectures with one person leading the meeting and speaking to the audience. These types of events are focused on education, training and presentations.
How far in advance do I need to book a conference room?
Looking for a conference room about 3 to 4 months in advance makes it easier to find the venue just for your needs and still have some time to make adjustments and prepare the essentials.