As we’ve already mentioned, organising a wedding in Melbourne can get overwhelming, but you don’t need to stress too much – we’re here to make it headache-free. Don’t know where to begin your wedding venue search? Here’s our handy list of tips that will help you get started.
- Start from writing down your guest list – Why is it crucial? This will help you accurately establish your budget and decide on the size of your venue. We’re listing both big and small wedding venues in Melbourne, so whether you’re organising an intimate reception or a huge bridal bash, we’ve got you covered.
- Have different dates in mind – It’s one of the most important wedding tips for Melbourne. The most sought-after wedding venues book out really early in advance, so having several alternatives for your wedding date increases your choice of venues. Remember: the more dates you consider, the more chances you have of securing your dream venue!
- Create a list of your non-negotiables – Are you 100% sure you’d like to work with an external caterer of your choice? Remember to check if the wedding venue you’ve picked allows you to bring your own food. This applies to other services, too – there are cases where some wedding venues in Melbourne work with recommended suppliers only. It’s always better to ask and the friendly venue managers will be happy to assist!.
So, down to the really important question: how much does it cost to hire a wedding venue in Melbourne? It’s a big subject, but we’ve got all the answers you’re looking for. Check out our guide below!
- Many wedding venues in Melbourne (especially banqueting halls) are priced with a hire fee. Average rates may differ a lot depending on the location and the size of the venue. For instance, hiring a wedding hall for 200 people in Brighton may cost even less than $1000, while prices for blank canvas spaces for 300 hundred in Kensington can go over $5000.
- If you’re hiring a restaurant for your wedding, keep in mind that most of them work on a minimum spend basis. This means you need to spend a certain amount on food and drinks, but at the same time you’re not paying a cent for using the space. Sounds like a fair deal, doesn’t it? Minimum spend rates for weddings in Melbourne usually range between $4000 and $10000, depending on the size of your reception and the menu itself.
- How about an all-inclusive wedding package deal? Heaps of venues in Melbourne have special event offers for weddings. These usually consist of a set food and drinks menu, sometimes with other event services included in the price. The rates per person range between $40 for very basic packages and up to $150 for extended ones. As a rule of thumb, in Melbourne wedding packages below $100 are considered a pretty good deal!
Last but not least, you might be wondering which part of the city is the best one to host a wedding in? We’re more than happy to share some of our favourites. See the list of the most popular areas for weddings in Melbourne below and get inspired:
- Melbourne CBD – Loving those one-of-a-kind narrow alleyways? Melbourne Central Business District is the ultimate destination for a unique urban wedding. The area is full of amazing restaurants and bars with rooftop terraces, many of which would make the perfect backdrop for your big day.
- Port Melbourne – Enjoy the very best of the Melbourne coast, from converted warehouses to stunning beachside wedding venues. Whether you feel like hosting an industrial style modern wedding celebration or tying the knot with the wind in your hair and sand between your toes, Port Melbourne venues are sure to impress.
- South-East Melbourne – Dreaming of a picturesque wedding on the Mornington Peninsula, or in a historical venue that tells a story? You’ll find what you’re looking for in South-East Melbourne.
Frequently asked questions about wedding venues in Melbourne:
What are the most popular wedding venue types in Melbourne?
- Garden venues – Perfect for rustic receptions and couples who love all this boho, garden venues are one of the biggest trends right now in Melbourne and all around Victoria. And the cherry on top? Many of them focus on local produce and sustainability, so you can expect top-notch catering, too.
- Industrial venues – We know lofts and warehouses with a truly unique character and heaps of industrial chic. Venues of this kind can be easily customised to make your wedding celebration truly personal. Melbourne is full of them, and we’re stoked to help you pick just the perfect one.
- Hotel venues – If you’re expecting a lot of guests coming from other parts of Australia (and from abroad), hiring a hotel venue for your wedding is your best bet. This way you’ll have both the reception and the accommodation sorted in one building. To top it all off, Melbourne hotel venues are often beautifully located in the most sought-after areas of the city. What’s not to love?