Corporate event venues in Melbourne are plentiful. From hotels to convention centres, cafes to banquet halls — you’ll have a variety of options as you plan your next big company event. But don't just stop at the first venue that looks good on paper! Here's what you should keep in mind when browsing venues for your next corporate event:
- Check the calendar. Keep other industry events in mind while planning your own! You don’t want to force your attendees to make a choice, so be sure to check which dates are already taken and consider what remains. Try to consider a few different timings, as this will give you more flexibility to choose the perfect venue for your function.
- Central or off-beat? If you’re organising a massive full-day (or multiple-day) event, it makes sense to hire a large venue in a more remote location on the outskirts of Melbourne as it will help everyone stay focused. However, keep in mind that this really only works best for big events with a budget to match. If you’re organising a more modest corporate function, it’s better to choose an easily accessible venue in the city centre or in the inner Melbourne suburbs.
- Define the high-traffic areas. This is crucial to ensure that you make the right use of the space. Remember that some spots in the event venue might get particularly crowded. These typically include the entrance or the registration desks. Most corporate event venue managers know about these issues and will be happy to help you arrange the right flow for your event.
- Don’t lose your voice. Acoustics are often one of the most overlooked aspects of corporate events – you don’t want to end up having problems with the A/V equipment and not getting the sound right on the day. This concern is best avoided by testing everything before your corporate event takes place. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
Melbourne is home to many great corporate event venues. The city is filled with gorgeous architecture, beautiful parks, and bustling streets. If you're looking for a great place to host your next corporate function, here are some of the best areas of Melbourne to look into:
- Melbourne CBD. Melbourne’s Central Business District remains the most popular destination for corporate events of all kinds, from formal functions to legendary office parties in the area’s amazing bars. The choice of spaces available for private hire is truly impressive. No matter if you’re keen on small hidden pubs or ultra-modern corporate function spaces located in Melbourne’s most stunning skyscrapers, you’re sure to find what you’re looking for in the CBD. This option is a no-brainer, but the choice is much wider than that!
- Collingwood. Known for converted warehouses and an exciting cafe scene, Collingwood attracts young professionals and makes a fantastic destination for funky corporate functions that are sure to leave a lasting impression. This is a great option for those looking to host a corporate function that’s more about the experience than anything else. It has an industrial vibe and vibrant nightlife scene, so it’s perfect for large groups who want to get away from the ordinary and have some fun.
- Southbank. Melbourne’s all-important cultural hub, Southbank is home to some really impressive venues that can be hired for corporate functions. Whatever type of event you’re planning, there’s bound to be an appropriate venue for it here. All this is just a stone’s throw from the CBD, views on the Yarra River included. What’s not to love?
- Docklands. The best thing about the Docklands is its proximity to the CBD and Southbank. You don’t have to worry about transportation because it’s so easy to get around on foot. There are heaps of ultra-modern waterfront venues that are perfect for corporate events. It has a retro feel that works well for creative types and tech startups. With its gorgeous views and easy access, it’s the ideal place to host your next event.
- Carlton. Why not mix and mingle while you snack on Melbourne’s best pizza? It’s a lively suburb with plenty of character, and it’s close to the CBD and Southbank for easy access. And if you want to take your guests on a tour of Melbourne’s history, there are many museums nearby. There are also lots of hotels so your guests will have no trouble finding accommodation while they're visiting. If you want something more low-key and intimate, then Carlton is a great choice.
- Port Melbourne. This is your ideal pick if relaxed coastal vibes are what you’re keen on. The pier is a popular choice for corporate events, and it’s also one of the best places to enjoy quality seafood. Port Melbourne is home to some incredible restaurants and bars, so this area is a great choice if you're looking for something fun and lively. If you’re looking to host a large group, this is the place to go.
Corporate Function Venues in Melbourne FAQ
How much does it cost to rent a corporate function venue in Melbourne?
This is always a hot topic in Melbourne, with rates that vary according to heaps of different factors, starting from the size and location of the corporate function venue. It may get quite complex, but don’t stress about it! We’ve dug into our corporate venue hire data and created a handy guide to corporate event venue prices in Melbourne. (All data from Tagvenue.)
- The vast majority of corporate function venues in Melbourne are priced with a minimum spend. Choosing this option means you don’t spend a cent on the venue itself, and only pay a set amount for food and drinks - sounds like quite the deal, doesn’t it? Minimum spend rates for corporate event venues in Melbourne typically range from $500 for smaller spaces up to as much as $10,000 for large halls.
- If you’d like to work mostly with external event suppliers, your best choice is to pick a corporate function venue with a hire fee. The rates start at $600 per evening and can go up to $5000 for really large blank canvas spaces. Keep in mind that the hire fee only covers the costs of using the venue and any other features are usually not included.
- Searching for a convenient all-inclusive option for your corporate event? Many Melbourne venues offer special corporate event packages. These generally cover the costs of venue hire, refreshments and the use of event facilities. The daily delegate rates for corporate events in Melbourne range between $25-$85.
What types of venues are best suited to corporate events in Melbourne?
With Melbourne being Australia’s most significant startup hub, the opportunities are quite exciting. The city offers a wide choice of small corporate function spaces designed to cater to startups and many Melbourne restaurants, cafes, pubs and bars rent their spaces for corporate events. Or why not take advantage of the sunny days and organise an outdoor event? A rooftop terrace for a cocktail party or a beer garden to let your hair down – sounds tempting, doesn’t it?
What are some of the best corporate function venues in Melbourne?
- Rooftop Outdoors at Two Hands Rooftop Bar. If you're looking for a venue that's as hot as your event, look no further. This is one of the most popular rooftops in Richmond with a capacity of up to 30 guests. With music, lights, palm trees — and even an incredible cocktail list — the top level of Two Hands Bar is the perfect place to celebrate your next event.
- Orchard Rooms 1 + 2 at Mercure Melbourne Doncaster. These two rooms are able to accommodate up to 80 seats and are ideal for meetings, conferences, seminars and other events. Both rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with conference call facilities and multimedia capabilities. The venue offers tailor-made packages to meet all of your event needs and the in-house catering lets you select preferred menus, beverage packages or any special additions.
- The Ballroom at Fringe Common Rooms. If you want a wild time and killer drinks, this venue has just what you need. This heritage performance space and bar can accommodate up to 174 standing patrons or 114 seated (theatre-style). The venue is a fully-equipped party space, with a professional bar and state-of-the-art sound system, projectors and the lights you could dream of – and yes, that includes a mirror ball.
What are some of the best ideas for team-building activities?
Why not learn something new while you have heaps of fun? Many Melbourne venues offer workshops that are sure to strengthen team bonds and keep your guests entertained. Who knows, maybe that’s how they’ll discover a new passion. Our favourite options for team building include cocktail masterclasses, cooking workshops and dance classes. If you’re keen on getting competitive, you can choose from mini golf courses, bars with pool tables and karaoke rooms for your big sing-off!