Most popular venues in Melbourne
Most popular event spaces in Melbourne
Explore business event venues for hire in Melbourne
From meeting spaces in the CBD to function venues in the suburbs – top Melbourne venues for corporate events of all kinds.
Hire the best party venues Melbourne has to offer
Pool parties, disco nights and cocktails on the rooftops – the best venues for a private party in Melbourne.
Book unique wedding venues in Melbourne for any budget
From woodlands to elegant halls, discover Melbourne’s amazing venues for both wedding receptions and ceremonies.
Planning an event in the near future but not sure where to start?
Check our tips and ideas!
So you’ve found the perfect venue for your special event. But how do you know what seating layout to choose?...
Use this checklist when hiring a venue. It has all the questions you should ask when looking at venues and will save you time and money.
Make sure your party runs smoothly and nothing is left to chance with our easy-to-follow party planning checklist. Plan an event without breaking a sweat!
Our guide to Melbourne venue hire
Australia’s cultural capital and one of the world’s most livable cities, Melbourne is bursting with all kinds of exciting events. The city boasts a stunning number of unique venues available for hire for both private and corporate functions. In Melbourne, you can choose from rooftop bars with a view on the CBD, trendy converted warehouses, cosy beer gardens right next to the Yarra River, luxury halls for lavish wedding receptions and many different event venue types that are sure to leave a lasting impression. At Tagvenue, Australia’s free venue finder, we’ve listed Melbourne’s best event spaces all in one place, so you can easily browse top venues and book something ideal in no time. From Brighton and St Kilda all the way up to Tullamarine, we know the most sought-after spots and hidden venue gems all over Melbourne. Give us a try and you’ll be amazed what you can find!
Searching for your ideal event venue in Melbourne, but don’t know where to start?
Melbourne is buzzing with opportunities and we know how hard it can be to make up your mind. You don’t need to learn by trial and error – we’ve been there and we’re happy to share our expert knowledge with you. Here’s a couple of things that are worth keeping in mind when choosing the perfect event venue in Melbourne:
- Start from establishing your budget – Doing this first off will make all further planning much easier. Figure out how much you can spend per guest, where you can splash out and where you need to cut down on costs. Once you know how much you can spend, you can narrow down your search to venues you’ll be able to afford. Our collection of Melbourne event venues for hire covers all price ranges, so no matter if you’re short on funds, with us you’ll find a cheap and cheerful space for your event without any hassle.
- Decide on the size of the venue – Are you organising a huge wedding reception for 400 guests, a conference for thousands of attendees or perhaps an intimate private party for your closest friends? No matter how big your event, there is one general tip to keep in mind. You need a space big enough for all your guests, but you don’t want one that’s too big for the occasion. If you’re expecting 20 guests, it makes no sense to book a venue for 100– too much space feels intimidating and you’re very likely to overpay. Luckily, our Melbourne collection features venues in all shapes and sizes. We’re here to help you book a space that feels like tailor-made for your event.
- Pick an area of Melbourne that will match your event’s vibe – Looking for a small venue in the heart of the city? The tiny alleyways of Melbourne CBD are packed with heaps of hidden bars and restaurants with private function rooms available for hire. If a laid-back hippie vibe is what you’re after, you’ll love beachside venues of St Kilda and the alternative, artistic ambience of Fitzroy. No matter what kind of tone you’re keen on, with Tagvenue you’re sure to find a Melbourne location that strikes all the right chords.
- Make sure your guests know how to get there – Melbourne’s public transport is one of the most convenient ways to get around the city, so don’t forget to check your venue’s nearest train, tram and bus stops. If you want a spot that’s easy to reach from anywhere, Melbourne CBD is the location you’re looking for. Easily accessible from the iconic Flinders Street railway station and located within the Free Tram Zone – getting there really couldn’t be easier. Last but not least, if a majority of your attendees will be travelling by car, check if the venue has on-site parking facilities.
- Have a contingency plan in mind – Outdoor venues are the talk of the town in Melbourne, and as good as the Victoria weather can be it’s always good to have a plan B in case it gets a bit too rainy. Better safe than sorry!
- Use a checklist – Write down everything you’ll need for your event, so you can easily keep track of all the logistics. A really great tip is to use an event planning checklist – you can create your own or use the one from our blog. Now you have everything under control!
- Balance all-inclusive and DIY – Would you like to have full control over all the aspects of your event? Your best bet is to hire a self-catering venue which also allows you to arrange your own decorations. Melbourne is full of spaces that are happy for you to unleash your creativity, and we’re happy to help you spot the perfect one. If you’re on the other side of the spectrum, a wedding package deal might be the ideal solution for you. Sounds good? Read more about this option in our guide to venue hire prices in Melbourne below!
Our guide to venue hire pricing in Melbourne
Time for the big question: how much does it cost to hire an event venue in Melbourne? We’ve got to admit there’s no single answer, as venue prices in Melbourne depend on many different factors, including the size of the venue, the location, the facilities, the date of your event… Sounds complicated? Don’t stress it – we’re here to make it clear. We’ve created a handy guide to venue hire prices in Melbourne, based on up-to-date venue hire data. Check it out below:
- The venue hire fees in Melbourne start at as little as $400 for really small venues and go up to several thousand for full day hire if you pick a larger space. The rates can change significantly depending on the time of the day. As a rule of thumb, the later the hour of your event, the higher the hire fee.
- What about free venue hire? Melbourne is full of bars, pubs and restaurants which are priced with a minimum spend. This means you spend nothing for the space itself, you just pay a previously agreed amount of money on food and/or drinks. So, what are the usual minimum spend rates for event venues in Melbourne? In case of small private dining rooms, the prices can be as low as $500 per evening, but that’s just the starting point. If you’re organising a huge feast for hundreds of guests, be prepared to spend up to $20,000. The price range is really wide!
- On the lookout for a wedding venue deal? Many venues in Melbourne and Victoria offer special all-inclusive wedding packages. The prices per person range between $35 for basic options and $100 for full-blown ones.
- Organising a conference, or a business meeting? Daily delegate rates for corporate event venues in Melbourne usually range between $30 and $80 per person. A typical package includes refreshments, conference equipment, the cost of venue hire and sometimes a lunch/dinner menu.
Want to know more about event venues in Melbourne? Have a look at the most frequently asked questions about venue hire in Australia’s cultural capital:
Is BYO a popular practice in Melbourne? How do I look for BYO event venues?
Many venues in Melbourne are happy for you to bring your own drinks (and sometimes even food), but it’s always better to confirm that in advance. You can easily adjust your catering preferences in our search filters with just a few clicks. Finding a BYO venue in Melbourne has never been simpler!
Where do I find Melbourne venues with the most affordable hire rates?
Usually the further you go from the city centre, the lower the prices. Your best bet is to focus on Melbourne’s suburbs. Our favourite picks include:
- South-East Melbourne – This part of the city offers a wide choice of affordable venues with a relaxed feel. If you’re keen on beachside vibes, be sure to check out St Kilda and Elwood!
- Northern Suburbs – Home to Melbourne Tullamarine Airport, the Northern Suburbs make a perfect pick for an event location if your guests will be travelling by plane.
- Northcote – How about something relaxed and a bit closer to nature? Northcote boasts heaps of beautiful green spaces and local bars with inexpensive function rooms available for party hire.
What are some of the most popular event venue types in Melbourne? Any particular favourites?Melbournians love outdoor spaces and venues with a view! All kinds of rooftop terraces, urban gardens and party boats on the Yarra River are very much in demand. There’s also a quickly emerging post-industrial trend! Melbourne boasts a large number of warehouses adapted for event hire. These versatile spaces are suitable for many different types of events, from wedding receptions to product launches.
Discover spaces for hire near you
Trending event venues in Melbourne
Popular spaces for events of all types in Melbourne
Forget cookie-cutter spaces and discover unusual venues Melbourne has to offer
Discover top industrial spaces and warehouses available for hire in Melbourne