Riverside Wedding Venues Hire Guide
Thames riverside venues are perfectly suited for weddings and are surprisingly versatile. Imagine saying ‘I do’ on the banks of this world-famous river amid natural surroundings or the vibrant energy of the city centre. You get to choose. Venues along the Thames are surrounded by stunning views of some of England's most iconic sites and landmarks and will provide a picture-perfect backdrop to your ceremony. What's more, the Thames runs through the heart of London, which means it's close to many transport links – an added convenience for your guests.
From the south banks of the River Thames, you can enjoy views of Westminster Abbey, The Houses of Parliament, Big Ben and St Paul’s Cathedral. From the north bank, you look across the water to Battersea Park, the iconic Battersea Power Station, the London Eye, The Shard and more. If you can’t decide on the view you want, perhaps a wedding cruise along the river with a 360° view of London would be a better option?
With so many potential venues to choose from, it can be hard to decide which areas of London have the best view of the Thames riverside. That’s why we’ve come up with a few ideas to give you some inspiration:
- If it’s iconic London landmarks you’re after, then we suggest a central location. Any bankside venue from Vauxhall Bridge to London Bridge will provide you with views of London’s famous sites. You will find all types of wedding venues in the heart of the city. From intimate dining rooms to rooftop bars and grand halls and warehouses, Central London offers a lot of variety.
- If you go a little further east, towards Canary Wharf, you’ll enjoy more of a cityscape view of London's beautiful skyscrapers. This area is also filled with stylish wine bars and pubs.
- For something a little closer to nature, head west of Central London towards Richmond, Kew, Twickenham and even as far as Kingston Upon Thames. Here you will be surrounded by gorgeous green parks including Bushy Park, Ham Lands and the Royal Botanic Gardens. This belt of green is home to lovely old-style wedding venues with large terraces and idyllic gardens that will make you feel as if you have escaped the city for the day.
FAQs about Thames Riverside Wedding Venues in London
How much does it cost to hire a Thames riverside wedding venue?
It is quite common for Thames riverside wedding venues to charge a hire fee. The cost, however, will vary based on the type of location you choose, its size, and, of course, the view the venue provides of the famous River Thames. Expect fees per hour to range between £200 and £500, while the daily rates range between £2400 and £5000. Morning hire fees for Thames riverside locations typically start at about £4000 and can go up to £8000 or more. Evening rates are substantially higher, ranging from around £5000 to £10,000 for more exclusive venues. You may also come across venues that offer wedding packages that are priced per person and include a set menu and beverage service. Prices per person range from £50 to £130 or more. (All data from Tagvenue)
What are some of the best Thames riverside wedding venues for hire in London?
- The Mermaid London is a dynamic, sophisticated, and modern venue with plenty to offer. Look no further than this location for a blank-canvas environment with stunning views of the Thames River. This is a place where you can truly let your inner wedding planner shine. If you have a long guest list, don’t worry, because this stunning location can comfortably accommodate up to 300 seated guests. This venue also offers a fantastic wedding package, so we highly suggest you check it out.
- Are you looking for a riverside venue that will provide a lovely and intimate atmosphere for your wedding? Winchester House, a stunning historic location with views over the River Thames, offers an idyllic backdrop for your big day. The venue has exclusive private gardens, a reception area and a ballroom, that provide a delightful ambience that will make your wedding day memorable. Winchester House can host up to 100 people for the intimate wedding dinner of your dreams.
- The Terrace at Doggett's Coat and Badge offers unparalleled views of the Thames and the city of London in general. If you want to get married in the presence of your closest family and friends, this stunning site is the place to do it. It has a terrace and indoor space available, making it ideal for a riverside intimate wedding. The best part about this venue is that you can personalise every aspect of your wedding. You and your significant other will reach new heights as you wed in a spot overlooking the entire city.
- When it comes to tying the knot, why not get married somewhere with the best view of the Thames? Why not get married on a boat? Thames Luxury Charters provides a gorgeous boat venue ideal for your dream wedding. The adaptable venue can accommodate up to 140 guests to lounge and celebrate your special day on the Thames. Needless to say, this setting is ideal for wedding photos—you can literally capture the important day from every angle possible with magnificent scenery all around you.
- The Pavilion and Edgson room at Westminster Boating Base is a one-of-a-kind venue in the middle of London's picturesque Pimlico Gardens. This location may offer a dreamy wedding setting due to its ceiling windows that provide excellent views of the Thames, as well as a big balcony wrapped around the room that you may enjoy throughout your special day. If you and your spouse are "Love Actually" fans, another reason to consider this venue is that it was utilised in the blockbuster film, thus it could be the ideal setting to celebrate your own love. The Millennium Diamond is another cruise venue that we strongly recommend checking out.
- If you are dreaming of a stunning garden riverside venue with a view of the Thames, The Gun at Isle of Dogs might be the right match. This location can accommodate up to 200 guests for a private dining experience, and it also provides the best of British cuisine that may make your wedding planning process as hassle-free. We also highly recommend the River Terrace at this location as a magical wedding venue alternative.
- Trafalgar Tavern provides a stunning ballroom venue suitable for your dream wedding celebration. The location can accommodate up to 200 guests and offers a variety of wedding packages to suit any budget.
What are the benefits of having a riverside wedding?
Riverside wedding venues are becoming increasingly popular due to their beautiful settings. They can be entirely customised when it comes to decorations while also creating a lovely backdrop for your celebration. Here are a few of the key advantages of having your wedding at a riverbank venue:
- Riverside wedding locations are definitely one of the more unique wedding venue options. If you want your wedding to stand out, these venues may be the right choice if you prefer a relaxing and casual setting with the added feeling of being near nature. Not only that, but most of the decoration is already done for you because the setting is already stunning, which can help you cut down on the cost of your wedding.
- If you choose an outside setting, you will have much more space available to celebrate, allowing you and your wedding guests to celebrate all night long near the stunning river. It will be a night you and your guests will never forget.
- Such venues can provide an added feeling of seclusion and privacy, which may be an important factor to you during your celebration.