London is a truly amazing location for a wedding! This cosmopolitan city embodies creativity and originality. It is also home to a variety of exceptional wedding venues that can fulfil any couple's wishes. Your wedding day should be unforgettable, in all the best ways, so don’t shy away from searching for the perfect space where you can celebrate with your loved ones. Have a look at our guide to unusual event spaces for weddings in London below!
- Get clear on your overall vision – Chances are good that you already have a pretty good idea of what you want your wedding to look like. Before you start booking tours of unusual wedding venues, make sure the ones you select match the aesthetic you have in mind.
- Decide how many people you want to invite – Like any venue, alternative spaces will vary in the number of guests they can accommodate. It’s always best to know how many people are on your guest list before you start your search for a venue, so you can narrow down your options based on the size of the event space.
- Decide what your budget is– Unusual venues can sometimes cost more than your local dining hall. It’s easy to go over budget when you find that perfect space that makes your imagination run wild, but keep in mind that it’s about more than just how much hiring the space will cost. Create a budget that works for you and stick to it.
- Factor in everything that your venue provides – Some wedding venues provide their own private dining while others require you to bring your own vendors. Others may offer tables and decor, but you will never know until you ask! Find out what’s included with the venues you’re looking at and any additional costs that may come with it. You can also look for venues that offer special wedding packages.
After you've gone through the essential things to think about when selecting an unconventional venue, it's time to pick the ideal location to say "I do" in. What are the most popular areas in London for a unique wedding? Check out our guide to choose where to look for a venue:
- East London – This area of London has really changed over the last decade, and has become one of the fastest growing districts in the city. Many consider East London to be quite artsy, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that it boasts a variety of unusual wedding venues. From the eccentric Trading House to the beautiful and tropical conservatory in the Barbican Centre, there are a lot of options in this area.
- West London – There’s no doubt that West London is aesthetically appealing. It also boasts a large number of unusual venues to choose from. Whether you’re looking for something trendy, like Lockhouse, or something more elegant, like Sunbeam Studios, there’s something for every taste. You can even get married on Tower Bridge in West London!
- North London – North London is super rich in culture, offering a great number of music venues and the picturesque backdrops that are familiar from so many great films. Speaking of films, one unusual wedding venue in North London is the Everyman Screen on the Green, a cinema that provides a unique location for an unusual wedding. There’s also The Depot, a unique bar with a chic, industrial look.
Unusual Wedding Venues in London FAQ
How much does it cost to hire an unusual wedding venue in London?
Because unique wedding venues can be any type of facility, from quirky dining establishments to warehouses, historic buildings, and even boats and cruises, pricing can vary greatly.
The hire fees for unusual wedding venues in London will vary depending on multiple factors, including the location, size, how many guests it can accommodate and any extras included in the price. (All data from Tagvenue.)
- Most smaller venues start around £300 per evening. Hosting your wedding during weekday evenings will often be way cheaper than doing it during the weekend. When looking at pricing, make sure to check out the time frames and select one that best suits your needs. Some venues charge for the day, by the hour, or by headcount.
- Some of the most spectacular wedding venues can cost up to £5000, £10000 or even more per day. These prices are usually just for using the space. Check in with the venue manager to see what is included in the price. There’s more to consider than just the aesthetics when looking for an alternative reception venue, such as catering options, music, decor and more. Always make sure to do extensive research before booking a venue.
- Hire fees per session can range from £150 to £8000 or more.
On average you can expect to hire an unusual wedding venue with a minimum spend option starting at £2500. Costs can range upwards to £5000 or more. Another option that you can consider is booking a venue that offers wedding packages that are priced on a per person basis. You can expect to budget between £40 and £200 per person for a set menu and beverage service.
What are some of the most unique wedding venues in London?
- Perhaps you want to feel like royalty on your wedding day by surrounding yourself with gorgeous architecture, art, and history. If that's the case, we highly recommend checking out The HAC's Long Room and The Foundling Museum's Court Room.
- Are you and your partner artistic people who wish to incorporate art into your special day? There is no better way to tie the knot than in a gorgeous gallery! Pump House Gallery can be your very own blank canvas, where you can let your inner artist flourish for your wedding.
- Perhaps you and your partner enjoy being on the go and discovering new places and activities. Your wedding can be equally as exciting and one-of-a-kind. Have you ever considered getting married on a cruise? That's correct, the MV Erasmus at City Cruises Ltd is a one-of-a-kind venue that will undoubtedly be the ideal setting for an unforgettable wedding. If you wish to enjoy spectacular riverside views from the comfort of an on-land location, check out our recommendations for Top Riverside Venues in London.
- Tanner Warehouse may be your perfect fit if you're looking for a wedding venue that outshines dull conventional restaurants and halls. This unusual event space, located right in the heart of downtown Bermondsey, can accommodate up to 150 sitting guests in a modern and very gorgeous setting.
Other unique wedding venues in London that we highly recommend checking out include:
What are some unique things I can incorporate into my wedding?
If wedding customs are not your thing, you can always do things your own way. You can skip the typical white gown and suit, as well as the expected wedding rituals and sit-down banquets. By adding various forms of entertainment, fun foods and beverages, and by providing a casual setting for you and your guests, you can make your wedding a pleasant night for everyone. By doing so, you may be able to alleviate a lot of the stress that many couples experience when planning a wedding. What matters is that your wedding reflects your and your partner's unique love. London has it all, whether you want a traditional sit-down dinner in a unique historic building, a wild wedding extravaganza on a cruise, or a wedding getaway at a barn or a warehouse.