Thinking about hiring an affordable wedding reception venue in Sydney, but not sure what to consider? We know it can be a minefield so we’ve put together a list of tips from our venue experts. Check it out below!
- Start from prioritising the invitations – The easiest way to cut down on costs is to narrow down the guest list. Make it an intimate reception and stick to your family and close friends only. What’s the point inviting people you’re barely in touch with when you can have an intimate celebration with the ones you love?
- It pays off to negotiate – If you’re not happy with the initial quote, don’t be afraid to ask for a discount. You might not be getting 50% off, but every little helps! And even if the venue manager is not allowed to lower the price, he might be able to include something extra for free.
- Skip the sit-down meal – Organising a relaxed, informal wedding reception? You might want to go with a buffet, a food truck or a BBQ. This cheap and cheerful approach adds a quirky touch and is much less expensive than a traditional wedding dinner. Many wedding venues in Sydney are happy to work with custom catering ideas and we’re happy to connect you with the right one.
- Rethink your wedding drinks – If you’re going to serve cocktails, is good to limit the list to a couple of the most popular ones. You can also stick to wine, beer and just one creative themed cocktail. If you’d like to bring your own liquor, keep in mind that the Sydney wedding venue of your choice may be charging a corkage fee. If this applies in your case, be sure include it while calculating your final costs. Cheers!
Looking for a cheap wedding venue in Sydney and wondering how much it might cost? We’re here to clue you in. Have a look at our guide to wedding venue prices in Sydney:
- If you’re looking for cheap wedding packages in Sydney, we’ve got you covered. We’re listing a choice of wedding reception venues that offer packages under $100 per head. The costs of an all-inclusive wedding package in Sydney normally ranges between $50 and $160 per person. As mentioned above, less than $100 per guest is usually considered quite a good deal!
- The hire fees for wedding venues in Sydney vary greatly depending on the location and the size of the space. Hiring a small wedding venue in the suburbs usually costs around $1000, while hire fees for larger spaces start at $2000.
- One of the most affordable wedding venue options is choosing a space that works on a minimum spend basis. This means you need to pay a certain amount for food and drinks, and you’re basically getting a free venue! It’s because you’re not spending a single cent on hiring the space itself, you only need to pay for the catering. When it comes to minimum spend rates for weddings in Sydney, the usual amounts range between $2000 and $5000 depending on the size of your reception. The best thing to do is to divide the minimum spend by the number of wedding guests, so you can see if the offer is a good deal for your needs.
When it comes to cheap wedding locations in Sydney, some areas are more in demand than others. The most sought-after ones include:
- Western Sydney – From all the hip neighbourhoods of the Inner West (think Glebe, Annandale and Balmain) to areas bordering the Blue Mountains National Park, Western Sydney boasts an incredibly wide variety of wedding venues, suitable for any budget.
- Sydney beaches – If you’re searching for cheap waterfront venues in Sydney, your best bet is to go to the beach! From Tamarama and Bondi Beach to Manly and Avalon, Sydney offers heaps of beautiful (and inexpensive) beach wedding venues to tie the knot.
- Newtown – Looking for an alternative wedding venue that won’t break the bank? You’ll love Newtown. Here’s where amazing street art meets architecture from the Victorian era– and the combination creates a trendy neighbourhood with a distinctive vibe that you won’t find anywhere else in Sydney. The area is packed full with trendy spaces that make fantastic and affordable wedding venues.
Last but not least, we've answered some of the most frequently asked questions about cheap wedding venues in Sydney below:
I’m looking for a truly stunning yet affordable venue for my wedding in Sydney. Any tips?
You should definitely consider North Sydney! The vast majority of them pride themselves on amazing views of the Sydney Harbour and the city skyline. Many of these venues remain budget-friendly, while this kind of backdrop is sure to leave your guests talking for months. What’s not to love? If you’re after something closer to nature and further away from the city centre, another area full of cheap and cheerful venues is the Northern Beaches region.
Where should I look if I’m searching for a rustic wedding option in Sydney?
We recommend checking out Sydney’s Hills District. It’s known for its rural vibe, and even though it’s been gradually transforming into a suburban area, you can still find heaps of rustic wedding venues in there. The prices remain quite budget-friendly, too! Other areas worth considering include Western Sydney Parklands and the neighbourhoods surrounding Lane Cove National Park.