Birthday Party Venues Hire Guide
A guide to hosting a fantastic birthday party in Sydney
We know that organising a birthday party to remember is no mean feat. After all, you need to plan and ensure that the event is successful! Luckily, you’ve got us! Apart from a curated list of all the best birthday party venues in Sydney, we’re also happy to share some savvy party-planning tips and ideas with you. Check them out below!
- Start by writing down your guest list – Are you going to invite 15 or 150 people? Deciding on the size of your birthday party is the best starting point. Doing this early on will help you to establish the desired room size that will be the most comfortable. Set a budget - This may seem obvious, but setting a budget should be one of the first steps you take to kick off your party planning! Once you decide how much money you can spend, it'll be easier for you to pick venue options that match your price range. This means you’ll have fewer chances of overspending.
- Use a party planning checklist – We know that organising a birthday party can be daunting, so it’s better to write the planning process down to make sure you don’t forget anything important. If you don’t know where to start, don’t stress! You can use our ultimate party planning checklist that will guide you through the birthday party planning from start to finish.
- Have a contingency plan for an outdoor party – As good as Sydney weather gets, it’s always better to have an indoor plan B if you’re throwing an outdoor birthday party. Remember: better to be safe than sorry! So make sure to discuss that matter with the venue manager early on. Usually, outdoor venues offer some kind of shelter, like a roof or tents, blankets and electric heaters in case the weather gets wet.
- Check the venue’s food and drinks policy – Does the venue of your choice allow BYO alcohol and external catering? It’s always better to discuss that matter with the venue manager and thoroughly check the offer before you agree to sign anything. It will allow you to plan in advance and pick an option that matches your budget. In case your budget is limited and the venue doesn’t allow BYOB, consider serving signature drinks instead! Or try looking for venues that offer per-person packages. In these packages, food and drinks are included in the price and in Sydney, the prices start from as low as $20!
- Make the right use of the space – How will you seat the guests? It’s important to plan this in advance and ensure that everyone will be happy with the seating arrangements. For example, if you’re organising a small birthday party, you can go for one big table to keep all the guests close together. Not sure if it will be a great option for your party? Check out our article about seating arrangements to get inspired.
Venue hire fees in Sydney
So, down to the essential subject: how much does it actually cost to hire a venue for a birthday celebration in Sydney? We’ve created a handy guide to clue you in. Check it out below and decide which option suits you best!
- Many party venues in Sydney charge a hire fee, which includes the use of the venue only. The usual rates start from $275 for small, community spaces in the suburbs and can go up to $1500 for luxury private venues in the CBD.
- If you’re planning to eat, drink and be merry, choosing a venue with a minimum spend option is your best bet. You simply need to spend a certain amount on food and/or drinks, and you’re not paying a single dollar for hiring the party space. Sounds good, doesn’t it? The minimum spend rates in Sydney normally range between $500 and $2000.
- Last but not least, many Sydney venues offer special birthday party package deals! These usually cost between $20 and $80 per person and typically include food, drinks and the costs of using the venue. (All data from Tagvenue.)
Where can I host a birthday party in Sydney?
Still not sure which part of Sydney would work best for your next birthday party? We’re stoked to share some of our favourite picks with you:
- Sydney CBD – There’s much more to the Central Business District than corporate matters. The abundance of amazing restaurants, clubs and bars makes it an amazing place to find an ideal place for your birthday right in the middle of Sydney!
- The Rocks – Boasting a unique colonial charm, The Rocks has a history as rich as the variety of amazing spaces available for private hire. Bonus points for the iconic landscapes – perfect if you’re keen on hosting a birthday party with a view of the Sydney Harbour!
- Potts Point – Love all things art deco? You’ll love Potts Point, then! The area is packed with chic cocktail bars, stylish lounges and charming outdoor venues. What’s the best part? All of them are keen on hosting your next fantastic birthday party.
Looking for more inspiration? Host an unforgettable birthday party with our favourite ideas and celebrate like you deserve to - with a bang! All you have to do is take a peek at our articles and pick the birthday party recommendations
you love the most. Your next celebration is going down in history!
FAQs about Birthday Party Venues in Sydney
Can I decorate a venue on my own?
It depends on the venue’s policy: some allow it, and some don’t. If the venue appears to have a detailed setting with plenty of decor, the chances are higher that you won’t have the freedom of decorating the space on your own. But always discuss that matter with the venue manager! Who knows, maybe for you they’ll make an exception and allow you up to put your desired decorations?
When should I book a venue for my birthday party?
To enjoy a vast list of options, we always recommend starting your search at least 8 weeks in advance. This will give you plenty of time to browse the offers, reach out to the venue manager, compare and discuss your options. If you wait until the last minute, you may have less offers that could host your party on your preferred date.
Can you recommend some great birthday party venues?
Sure! Rooftop at Burdekin Hotel is the perfect, cosy spot to have a laid-back celebration topped with sweeping views of the city and beyond. Saga Bar Place is a fantastic themed bar that will take your celebrations to the remote islands and add a unique touch everyone will remember for years to come!
Can I find a cheap birthday party venue in Sydney?
Of course you can! Birthday party packages start from as low as $30 per-person in the areas of The Rocks, Thai Town and Wynyard. And in case you’d like to serve a potluck party (which is a fantastic budget-friendly option!) and take care of everything on your own, you can hire blank canvas venues that charge from $50 per hour.