If you believe life begins at 40, you’re probably planning a fabulous party to celebrate this special milestone and looking for inspiration. So why not check out our round-up of the best 40th birthday venues in London? Here at Tagvenue, we list hundreds of 40th birthday party venues, from teeny-tiny tapas bars to extensive ol’ beer gardens. And the icing on the cake? We do the legwork for you, so you'll have more time to focus on making sure that your 40th birthday is a blast! This is the time for you to celebrate with gusto. You’ve reached ‘the big 40’, so why not make it count?
From bowling, laser questing and casino nights to huge parties with top DJs and all-night barbecues, there are plenty of venues available in London. Here is a list of some ideas for places to host a stag party in London:
- Dinner party. Invite all of your closest friends around for an intimate evening of good food and wine. The great thing about dinner parties is that they are so easy to put together. Hire a restaurant with catering and let them do all the work! You can also have a buffet dinner party instead, which is a great way to get people mingling and having fun.
- Boat party. Hire a boat on the Thames or on London’s canals and take advantage of the beautiful views while enjoying some drinks. If you’re looking for a birthday experience on the water, then this is the place to go.
- Wine tasting. Book a sommelier to guide your event in one of London’s great wine-tasting venues. London offers some of the best wine and whisky bars in the world. So if you’re looking to try something new during your stag do, these venues are the perfect places to start.
- Karaoke night. Grab your favourite tunes and get singing! If you love karaoke but sometimes wish you could just sing without the hassle of scrolling through the song list, then this is the perfect night for you! Grab some retro cocktails and sing to your heart's content.
- Garden Party. Mixing and mingling are at the heart of a garden party. Set in a natural environment, people can enjoy each other’s company while taking advantage of the weather and beautiful scenery. The garden party is the ideal occasion to host a birthday party and bring together family, friends and colleagues in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Nightclub party. Get the music pumping and dance like no one is watching! If you're looking for something more than just a pub crawl, why not organise a night out at one of London's best clubs? Whether you're looking to dance the night away or simply enjoy a few drinks with friends, there are plenty of clubs in London that can cater to your needs.
- Relaxed Summer BBQ. A laid-back grill party is always a hit in the warmer months. If you don’t have much room at home, then why not host it at one of our venues? We have plenty of space for entertaining large groups, so no matter what time of year it is, you can enjoy yourselves with family and friends.
If you just turned 40 and are looking for some advice on how to celebrate, or if you know someone who just reached this golden milestone that we get to collectively refer to as the ‘4-ohhhh’s’ (that's a party horn, by the way), then you've come to the right place! Check out these tips and get ready to celebrate this momentous milestone with everything you’ve got:
- Decide whether you want to throw a themed party. You don’t have to choose a theme for your party, but it can simplify the planning process. Some ideas for themed birthday parties include Hawaiian luau, Hollywood glam, casino night, and pirate-themed parties. If you’re not sure what theme to choose, you can always go with an elegant cocktail soirée.
- Find a venue that fits the atmosphere of your party. The venue should reflect the tone and spirit of your event. For example, if you’re having a formal celebration with an elegant dress code, look for a venue that has high ceilings and ornate decorations. If you want something more modern, consider a space with sleek lines or industrial elements.
- Make sure there is enough capacity for everyone. It’s better to have too much space than not enough. If you have a lot of people coming over, add extra chairs or even tables. The last thing you want is for your guests to feel cramped or uncomfortable.
- Send out invitations in advance. This is one of the most important things you can do to make sure your party is a success. If you’re inviting people from out of town, send invitations at least two weeks in advance to give them time to make arrangements.
- Plan your menu. Think about what foods you might like to serve at the party, then check with the venue to see if they can accommodate your requests. Some venues allow you to bring in your own food or use outside caterers, while others require you to use their in-house service. If this is the case, be sure to find out what types of foods they offer and make sure that the menu will suit your needs. If you’re serving alcohol, check to see if the venue has a liquor licence.
- Decorate the venue to your taste. Find a venue that fits the atmosphere of your celebration. If you’re having a formal event, then you may want to decorate with flowers or candles. If it’s an informal party, then perhaps streamers or balloons would be better suited to the occasion. Make sure to check the venue's policy on decorations before you get started.
- Book entertainment. Popular entertainment options include magicians, comedians and other performers. You can also hire a casino dealer to run a poker tournament or blackjack games if you are going with the casino theme.
40th Birthday Venues in London FAQ
What is the average cost of renting a venue for a 40th birthday party in London?
The costs associated with birthday parties vary widely, depending on the venue you choose and the type of celebration you want to host. If you’re looking to host an upscale, elegant affair, expect to pay a hire fee ranging from £800 -£1500. If you're on a budget, consider choosing a pub or modest restaurant. These venues can range from £25 -£150 and operate on minimum spend which means that you have to pay for a certain amount of food and drink. (All data from Tagvenue.)
What are the best areas of London for booking a 40th birthday party venue?
- Camden Town. Camden Town is a popular area for party venues. You can find some great options here, including intimate lounges and chic cocktail bars. If you want something a little more unusual than your average party venue, this is the place for you!
- Greenwich. Greenwich is one of the most popular areas for party venues in London, as it’s close to Central London and has a range of charming pubs and restaurants. You won’t be disappointed by the selection here!
- Battersea. If you’re looking for an area with lots of options for your 40th birthday party venue, Battersea is a great choice! There are lots of hidden speakeasies, quirky pubs and charming restaurants in this area that will suit any style or theme you have in mind for your celebration.
Which party venues in London are the best options for celebrating the 40th birthday?
If you're looking for a venue in London to celebrate your birthday, we think that you should consider the Lost Garden at Lost Society. The venue has a capacity for 120 guests and comes with its own bar and bartender for the duration of your event. The garden is unlike any other because it has been designed as an oasis that is hidden away from the hustle and bustle of Battersea. It's also fully covered in case of bad weather, so you don't have to worry about rain or shine!
Callooh Callay Chelsea is the perfect venue for your birthday party. Located in the heart of Chelsea, this cocktail bar can accommodate up to 220 people over two floors, making it a great option for large groups. Whether you're celebrating with friends or family, this great venue will make sure that your guests have an incredible time, as they enjoy the fabulous drinks and amazing service.
If you intend to host a more formal celebration, consider the Restaurant at The Roundhouse. With a capacity of up to 35 guests seated, this venue is ideal for intimate gatherings. The restaurant also boasts a beautiful saloon bar, with space for seated groups to gather and dine.
How far in advance should I book a venue for a 40th birthday party?
It's a good idea to book your venue at least 2-3 months in advance, but you don't need to freak out about it. If you're hosting the event for a large group of people, it's best to give yourself a little more time. If you have a smaller group and are planning on having it somewhere that can accommodate fewer people, then it might be alright to book closer to the date. That said, there is some flexibility when it comes to booking venues for special occasions. If your party is during the week, you may be able to get away with booking a month or two beforehand.