It's no surprise that most people look back on their 21st birthday party as one of the greatest nights of their lives. But throwing a party on this special occasion can be incredibly difficult, especially in the bustling city of London. Check out our guide below for some ideas, tips and tricks for making your 21st birthday party memorable:
- Come up with a theme. Some popular ideas include the 20s speakeasy, Hollywood glamour and a fancy masquerade. You can also throw a party that's based on your favourite movie or go with a white or black theme if you're looking for something more subtle. Choosing a theme can also help you decide what type of venue to book. For example, if you're planning an 80s-themed party, you might want to book a club that has a lot of neon lights so you can really get the feel of retro nightlife. If you want to go for a more traditional English garden party theme, then a hotel or restaurant with a terrace or garden could be perfect.
- Make sure there are enough drinks and snacks. If you’re throwing a themed party, make sure to have appropriate drinks and snacks on hand. For example, if you’re throwing a Hawaiian-themed party, make sure to have some fruity drinks like Pina Coladas and Mai Tais on hand. For a fiesta-themed party, make sure to have plenty of chips and salsa. Most of the venues offer in-house catering and can help you to choose the right menu. If you want to hire an outside caterer or bring your own food, make sure the venue's policy allows you to do so.
- Book some entertainment. From DJs to magicians, there’s a huge range of options available to help make your party a night to remember. Having some entertainment can help keep the atmosphere going and make sure everyone has a great time. If your party has a theme, pick entertainment that meshes with it. For example, if your theme is “the Roaring Twenties,” you could have a jazz band or 1920s-style dancers perform.
- Decide on the decorations. It's the little touches that make a party great. If you’re throwing a themed party, make sure to have the appropriate decorations on hand. For example, if you’re throwing an Alice-in-Wonderland-themed party, have some white rabbit figurines, teacups and playing cards. For a Star Wars-themed party, get some Darth Vader and Storm Trooper cutouts, lightsabers and Death Star balloons. If you’re having a Harry Potter-themed party, make sure to have some broomsticks and cauldrons. To decide what decorations to use, look online for inspiration. The key is to have the decorations reflect the theme of your party.
- Consider having live music for your party. Nothing brings people together like singing along to their favourite tunes! If you want live music, look for someone who specialises in performing at parties and events. They’ll be able to play songs from a variety of genres and accommodate requests from your guests. Live music adds a lot of energy and fun to any party, so it’s worth considering if you want to make your party extra special.
- Set up a photo booth. You can’t have too many pictures of your guests in silly outfits! Get a photo booth set up and hire a professional or amateur photographer to make sure you get the pictures you need. You can also set up a place for people to print out photos and take them home as a memento of their time at your event.
- Get ready with your friends. Nothing can beat the excitement of getting ready with your friends, especially if you want to throw a themed party. This is a great way to bond with your friends before the party kicks off. Consider hiring a professional for hair and makeup, or you can do it yourself. Get creative with your look to match the theme. For example, if you're going with a theme like a disco party, get your hair done into big poofy curls and douse yourself in glitter. Have fun with it!
There's no better place to hold your party than the centre of London, but there are plenty of other great places in the city. If you are struggling to find the right venue for your 21st birthday party in London, then we have a solution for you. We have listed some of the best areas in London where you can host your birthday bash:
- Battersea. If you want to go somewhere that’s not too far from the city centre, then consider hosting your birthday party in Battersea. There are plenty of restaurants, function rooms and hotels in the area that are ideal for holding a birthday party. You can even hire a boat and cruise along the Thames!
- Soho. If you want to host your birthday party in an upscale area, then Soho is the best choice for you. The district is famous for its nightlife and restaurants, which makes it a perfect spot for a 21st birthday celebration. You can find plenty of venues in this area, but if you want one that’s close to the tube, look for one near Oxford Street or Tottenham Court Road stations.
- Mayfair. This is another district to consider for hosting a birthday party. The area has many cafes, bars and restaurants that offer good food along with a nice ambience at affordable prices. If you want to go host a party without going broke, then this area might be perfect for you.
- Kensington. This is another district that’s popular among young people, especially those who are looking for a place to party on their 21st birthday. The area has many venues that can host your party, including pubs and clubs. If you want to go somewhere unique, then consider hosting your party here.
21st Birthday Venues in London FAQ
How much does it cost to hire a 21st birthday venue in London?
The costs can vary widely depending on the location, capacity and the type of venue you choose. For example, renting a venue can be as low as £100-£150 per session for a bar room outside of the City or as high as £800-£1500 per session for the whole lounge in central London. Most of the venues use a minimum spend model, which means that you are required to spend a certain amount on drinks and food, so make sure that you’re clear on the costs before you book. (All data from Tagvenue.)
What are some of the best 21st birthday venues in London?
- If you're looking for a truly memorable 21st birthday, look no further than Back Lounge at Callooh Callay Shoreditch. They can accommodate up to 40 people seated and 70 people standing in this unique space that has a speakeasy vibe. They allow you to bring your own DJ, so you can use your music and set the mood. They also have a great selection of drinks and serve some amazing cocktails.
- If you want to have a complete rip-roaring birthday bash, you can rent this Whole Venue at Simmons, Farringdon. This two-floor bright neon-themed venue will make your birthday party a smashing hit. Simmons is located in the heart of Farringdon and has the capacity to accommodate up to 320 people at one time. The venue has been designed with a retro-style theme, giving it an atmosphere that's relaxed and fun.
- If you want something more affordable yet creative and fun, check out The Lower Deck at Tamesis Dock. Being a part of a beautiful converted 1930s Dutch barge, this venue is a great place for your birthday party. The Lower Deck is located on the Tamesis Dock and has a capacity of up to 80 people. The place is spacious and has a warm atmosphere that will make everyone feel comfortable and at ease. It's a great place if you want to spend your party in a friendly and relaxed environment.
What types of venues can I hire for my 21st birthday in London?
There are tons of great venues for 21st birthday parties in London! You can rent a bar or restaurant, or consider something more unique like an art studio or rooftop terrace. If you’re looking to celebrate your 21st birthday extra special, you might want to rent the whole club and throw an epic party.
How far in advance should I book a venue for my 21st birthday in London?
The short answer is: as far in advance as possible. The longer answer is that you should book a venue as far in advance as you can, but also be realistic about the deadline. It’s not uncommon for birthdays to wait until a week or two before the party to book a venue. This can be stressful, especially if you have your heart set on a specific spot with specific amenities. If there's a place on your list of dream venues that is not available when you start looking around, don't despair! Check out some other venues we have and find the one that best fits your needs.