Pub Venues Hire Guide
Why you should hire a pub venue for your event in London
Actor Rhys Ifans once stated that a pub can be a magical place; a true Londoner doesn’t need further explanation. After all, pubs are an essential part of British culture – no wonder many people want to use them for celebrating life’s special moments. People hire pub venues for many different types of reasons, here are some of the most common ones:
- Wedding – A pub is one of the best choices for a laid-back wedding reception. Add a vintage touch with retro cutlery and table decor or hire a traditional British pub that serves up comfort food classics your family will love. London offers a wide variety of pubs with function rooms for hire, so you can be sure to find something that suits your needs.
- Bridal shower or Stag party - Before you say your ‘I do’s’ get your friends and family into the party spirit. Feel like the queen or the king of the night, and celebrate your upcoming nuptials in style in one of the elegant pubs for hire in London!
- Birthday party - No doubt about it - a party is always better when it’s in a pub! Whether it’s your 21st birthday, a milestone birthday like 50 or 60, or just any regular year, get your friends together and celebrate this important occasion with a nice drink. You can simply hire a birthday party pub venue for the weekend and jolly away.
- Office party - If your company is having a special occasion or you just want to bring people together, you can hire a bar or tavern in London to host the work party. This way, you’ll be able to spend time with your colleagues while enjoying great food and drinks.
- Leaving party – Saying goodbye to one of your coworkers? Maybe your friend is leaving the country? Why not throw a truly British farewell party? Find a traditional craft beer pub for hire and enjoy quality time together over a nice cold pint.
- Team building – After a hard day’s work, it’s time for some pleasure. Tagvenue can help you find private pubs or a bar with restaurant to rent in the city centre or in any other district of London. Bring your team together for some pub quizzes, delicious pub grub and ice-cold ales.
- Christmas party – Ho, ho, ho, how about celebrating in ye olde watering hole? When it’s cold outside, get cosy and feel the Christmas spirit in a London gastropub.
Here are some more tips you may find useful when hiring a pub:
- Think about the type of catering that would work best for your event – ask the venue manager whether you’re allowed to organise external catering or if BYO alcohol is prohibited or not. If you decide to use external providers, it’s worth asking whether the event venue has any preferred caterers or suppliers that they work with regularly. You can get in touch with them directly and perhaps get better rates. You can also hire pubs with catering services, giving you one less thing to worry about in your event planning process.
- Decide what kind of food you’d like to see on the menu – are your guests into fish and chips, and burgers? Or maybe they’d prefer something a little more gourmet? Think about main courses as well as beer snacks. Make sure to check if any of your guests have special dietary requirements, too. And if you have a private dinner in mind, be sure to check our collection of pubs with private dining rooms.
- Before you book a pub venue in London, check what’s on the drinks card. A good pub will offer more than just beer and wine. A decent selection of cocktails as well as spirits is essential if you want all your guests to drink what they want. Ideally, the venue should also offer soft drinks such as tea and coffee. You don't want to turn people away just because they want something non alcoholic.
- Think about what size venue you need – sizes of pub function rooms vary, so ensure the venue you’ve chosen is big enough to accommodate all your guests. There should be room for your guests to move around freely and enjoy themselves without feeling cramped or crowded. Determine the number of your guests in advance so you can decide either to book a small pub venue or a large bar with restaurants.
- Work out which location would be most convenient – are you looking to hire a local pub with a free function room, do you need a traditional London pub in the city centre or are you looking for a modern venue near London Bridge? With London's great public transportation system you are sure to find a place that will be convenient for all the guests attending your event.
- Check whether the pub has an outdoor space. A few tables outside are ideal for those smokers among us who want some fresh air or just to stretch their legs. Some inns for hire in London have heating installed in their outside area, which is great for parties in winter.
- Find out what kind of music policy the venue has. Some cocktail bars have live music every weekend while others might only play quiet background music on quieter nights. It pays to ask before booking so that your guests aren’t surprised by an impromptu concert when they thought they were just coming for an after-work drink. The right choice of music will guarantee everyone has a great night.
FAQs about Pub Venues in London
What occasions are great for hiring a pub venue in London?
Pubs in London are an excellent location for many sorts of occasions. With their convivial atmosphere and varied event spaces, they are an easy choice for outstanding weddings, leaving parties, team building and Christmas parties. Pubs are also great for either partial or whole venue hire, and even, in some cases, whole weekend hire!
Can I play my own music when I hire a private room in a pub?
Before hiring an event space in a pub, it is always best to speak with the venue manager about any special requirements. When it comes to music you will want to ask about how you can connect to their tech, as well as whether there is a loud music policy or time restrictions. It’s also a good idea to check out the bar with a private room ahead of the date to make sure the AV equipment is in good working order.
How much does it cost to hire a pub venue in London?
Most pub hire in London will be carried out on a minimum spend basis. This entails a commitment to spending an agreed-upon minimum amount on food and drinks during the event. With this type of arrangement, a pub hire in London can be essentially free! Expect minimum spend in the city to start around £50 for smaller pub spaces and £100 for larger pubs. Prices will vary. (All data from Tagvenue.com)
Which areas of London are best for hiring a pub?
The City of London is where you can find the most fun pubs and bars in the capital, with most of them located in the financial district. If you're looking for an inn for your corporate events or a birthday party, these areas will give you access to an extensive range of pubs available for hire. Bars are also popular in Central London's West End, which is home to some of the best pubs in London. The district is known for its theatres and cinemas, as well as its lively nightlife scene. London's East End has a number of great bars with restaurants that have been around since Victorian times, that offer great views on the Thames River.