There are many locations in the city that are perfect for professional quality shoots. Whether it is one of the city’s famous sandy beaches such as Bondi Beach or Marley Beach, or any of the luxurious urban residences that dot the coast, your choices are numerous. For more urban locations, consider the areas around the Sydney Harbour, and the city’s picturesque back streets.
How do I choose the location for my photo shoot?
- Type of photo shoot – The first thing to consider is what type of photo shoot you’re organizing. Is it portraiture, still life or product photography? Do you need a space for a fashion or a commercial shoot? Different types of photo shoots may require different scenery and conditions. Take some time to come up with the story you want to tell with your photographs, then think about what kind of location would help you achieve your goal.
- Indoor or outdoor? – Keeping the former in mind, decide whether you want to shoot indoors or outdoors. If you’re looking for an indoor space, do you need a professional studio or would you consider other spaces, such as lofts or restaurants? If you’re shooting outdoors, always check the weather conditions and pick the right time of the day.
- Equipment & props – Think about the equipment and facilities you’re going to need to make your photo shoot a success. Make a list of everything you’ll require: reflectors, softboxes, backdrops, tripods, and maybe some props, such as chairs or sofas. Does your chosen location supply all the necessary equipment or will you have to bring your own?
- Lighting – Does your project require studio lighting or would you prefer natural light? Will you be shooting in the full sun or do you need some shade? Perhaps you’ll wait for the golden hour to strike?
- Privacy – If you don’t want to be disturbed during your creative process, see if it’s possible to hire your chosen location for exclusive use. This will eliminate potential distractions and make the shoot more comfortable for you and your models. If you’re shooting in a public space, try to pick a time during the day when it’s less crowded.
Pro tip: Remember to visit your chosen photo shoot location in person, so you can have a better look at the space, assess the lighting conditions, check out the props if you’ll be using any and make sure it’s all a good fit for what you have in mind.
What types of photo shoot locations can I hire in Sydney?
Sydney is brimming with fantastic locations for a photo shoot. Some of them are quite obvious, while others can be found where you least expect them. Here are some ideas:
- Photo studios – First on our list is the most obvious option. Hiring a professional photo studio will give you the most control over the final result of your photo shoot. In a space designed for professional photography, it is easy to experiment with different backdrops and manipulate the lighting conditions to achieve the desired effect. We recommend Riley Street Studio located in the heart of Surry Hills or The Studio Work Shop based in Clovelly.
- Studios with props – Venues such as Sydney Prop Photo Studios or Bustle Studios have the accessories and supplies to enable you to play around with props to set the scene and get the right mood for your photo shoot. For example, you can hire a space styled like a living room, a bedroom or a kitchen.
- Restaurants, bars, lounges – If your photo shoot doesn’t require a studio environment or you want to evoke real-life, why not consider one of the city’s numerous restaurants, bars and cafes? Many of them feature private rooms that can be hired for exclusive use so that you can focus on your creation without unnecessary distractions. You can pick and choose from different interiors, depending on the style you’re going for. Our favourite picks include Since I Left You, a modern bar with an industrial vibe, nestled between the storehouses in the CBD, or Derby House, a cosy bar located in Glebe.
- Meeting rooms – These are perfect for business photo shoots, where you have to present your subjects in a professional setting. Check out Australia Square’s glossy meeting spaces in the heart of Sydney’s CBD or the modern meeting rooms at 1 Bligh Street in the Financial District.
- Old libraries, elegant ballrooms, atmospheric chapels – Care for some historic charm and period splendour? Sydney is full of places with an old-world feel, ready to take you back to a different era. Have a look at the heritage-listed Castlereagh Boutique Hotel or the atmospheric Main Library at St Andrew’s College.
- Lofts – Converted warehouses and airy lofts are fantastic spaces for experimenting with creative projects! Sydney is filled with spacious industrial interiors with high ceilings and plenty of light. Try Culture Machine Studios, a flexible warehouse venue or The Loft at The Dale.
- Outdoor venues – A great choice for wedding photography or shooting portraits. You can use public outdoor spaces or hire a private venue. Use Tagvenue to search and book one of Sydney’s numerous patios, terraces and private gardens. For example, if you’re looking for a sweet location with some tropical summer vibes, check out the Outdoor Pool Area at Rydges Camperdown.
- Yachts – How about snapping your shots against the backdrop of the world-famous Sydney Harbour and some of the city’s most iconic landmarks as seen from the water? Grab your camera and hop on board a yacht, such as the Seven Star or the Aqua Bay!
Photo Shoot Locations in Sydney FAQ
How do I hire a photo shoot location in Sydney?
When planning a photoshoot in any of Sydney’s famous public spaces such as Bangaroo or the Harbour area, you are required to request permission from the local authorities. Small photoshoots may not need a permit. However, if you exceed limitations on size or duration, you will need to request permission from the local government.
How much does it cost to hire a location for a photo shoot in Sydney?
Costs for this type of location hire can range from $200 to $1200 for short duration or low impact shoots and can reach upwards of $4000 for high impact sessions. In the latter case, also expect to be charged fees for parking and other services. When hiring private locations the prices will vary depending on the space but start around $1200 for a 4-hour hire and $1700 for an 8-hour hire. For any photoshoot in Sydney, you will be asked to pay for liability insurance and cleaning.
Which districts in Sydney are the most photogenic?
When searching for your photogenic areas make sure to start your search by considering the type of location that will suit your needs. With its chic city streets and gorgeous sandy beaches, Sydney has a bit of everything. Along the South Coastline consider any of the ocean views, lighthouses and striking geography extending from La Perouse to Watson’s Bay. Consider catching the sunset views of the Sydney Harbour and skyline from Dudley Page Reserve. The North Shore is another photogenic area with striking cliff views from North Head and Long Reef and is also a local favourite spot for nighttime astrophotography. For more city locations consider The Rocks as well as Observatory Hill for great urban shoots. And of course, Sydney Harbour with its views of the Sydney Opera House are old favourites but still beautiful, as is the soaring and majestic Sydney Harbour Bridge.
What are the best photo shoot locations in Sydney?
Based on the reviews of our customers, these are some of the best Sydney locations for a photo shoot:
- San Telmo Studio – A warehouse-style studio with original features such as timber floors, beamed ceilings and large barn doors. Filled with natural light, the space provides access to various props, as well as Polyboards and paper rolls. Located in Chippendale, just a stone’s throw away from the Central Station. Rated 5/5 by our customers.
- Bustle Studios – Another excellent photo shoot location close to the Central Station. The venue offers multiple rooms with inspiring interiors, high ceilings and plenty of natural light. Rated 4.9/5 by our customers.
- Derby House – An intimate bar with a cosy vibe, located in the heart of Glebe. Its split areas will give you some privacy to work on your creative project. You can choose from the glasshouse-style indoor courtyard with lots of greenery and festoon lights, the private Derby Lounge or the intimate outdoor garden. Rated 4.9/5 by our customers.