Los Angeles and its dizzying variety of venues take partying to a whole new level. No matter if you’re throwing a party for adults, celebrating a sweet 16 or looking for a place to host a small kid’s birthday, you’re in for a treat! Spoil yourself by choosing a location loved by the rich and famous, marvel at the city’s panorama from a rooftop terrace or take your party outdoors and feel the breeze. And if you need some inspiration on how to throw the best birthday party on the planet, read on for our tips and ideas!
Planning a birthday party in Los Angeles? Here’s where to start.
Before you get to booking a venue for your birthday party in LA, take a few moments to consider the most important factors that will guide your search for the perfect space.
Budget - Setting your budget is one of the most important things to do in the early stages of planning your birthday party. Once you get that out of the way, it will be much easier to figure out all the other details. So start by deciding how much you can spend on your special occasion. Pro tip: it’s a good idea to include some sort of a reserve in your budget just in case.
Date - Do you want to host your birthday party on the exact day of your birth or on the weekend before/after the actual date? Whatever you do, make sure you book your venue as early as you can. The hottest party spots in Los Angeles get rented out weeks or even months in advance, so act quickly to have the most choice and possibly get a better price.
Guests - Estimate the number of guests you expect to show up for your birthday party. Send out the invitations as early as you can. When you know how many people are coming, you can start searching for a venue with a suitable capacity. Finding a space that’s just the right size will help you avoid overspending.
Vibe - Consider what type of vibe you’re going for and pick a venue with the right atmosphere. Do you want to go big and host an elegant banquet or keep it casual and just meet with your friends for some drinks? Would you like to bring in a DJ, book a live performer or play your own music from your phone/laptop? Which do you prefer: a blank canvas venue that you can personalize as much as you want or a ready-made space that might only need some extra touches from you? Have a vision of your birthday party before you start looking for the right venue. This will help you speed up the process.
Food & drinks - Are you looking for a place with a specific type of cuisine? Thai, Mexican or Italian - whatever your preference, Los Angeles is filled with world-class restaurants and bistros that serve top quality food and are experienced in hosting parties. When it comes to drinks, the choice is just as wide: from places serving craft beer and inventive cocktails to exclusive wine bars. If you want to only book a space but go easy on your wallet by taking care of the food and alcohol yourself, check what’s your chosen venue’s policy on BYOB and external catering.
Location - Last, but definitely not least, decide where you’d like to have your birthday party. Think about specific areas: bustling Downtown, dreamy Hermosa Beach or fabled Hollywood? Consider which type of venue would be best for the kind of party you have in mind. Would you feel at home in an exclusive restaurant? Or maybe you prefer an edgy bar? What about a rooftop terrace with a breathtaking Los Angeles panorama? Wherever your imagination takes you, the City of Angels most likely can make those dream visions come to life. Make sure you also consider the convenience of your guests - choose a place they’ll be able to access easily and if you’re hosting anyone with disabilities, check if the venue can cater to their needs.
Which areas of Los Angeles have the best birthday party venues?
Los Angeles knows how to party, and that’s a fact. If you’re looking for a birthday party space, you’ll find great venues all over the place. Depending on the vibe you’re after, check out some of our favorite areas:
- Hollywood - Would it be an LA area guide if we didn’t mention Hollywood? The choice is fully justified: this world-famous location features some of the most amazing party spaces you can imagine! Many of them are lined along the fabled Sunset Strip in West Hollywood. Other hotspots include Santa Monica Boulevard and Melrose Avenue.
- Downtown LA - Once mostly known for Skid Row and dense traffic, diverse Downtown is now one of LA’s most fun areas with thriving nightlife and a dizzying choice of venues. There’s always a lot going on in places like The Art District, Little Tokyo or Chinatown. Exclusive restaurants, fashionable bars and bustling dance clubs - anything you’re looking for is there!
- Culver City - Home to Sony Pictures Studios and alive with movie-making history, Culver City is also known as a great location for dining and nightlife. Take your pick from the area’s amazing restaurants, cocktail bars and gastropubs!
- Los Feliz, Silver Lake and Echo Park - Slightly calmer yet still close to Downtown Los Angeles, these areas are known for their cool and artsy vibes. It’s where you’ll find a myriad of hip clubs and trendy bars for a unique birthday party.
- Santa Monica, Venice, Hermosa Beach and other beach towns - LA’s coastline is home to some of the most popular party locations, which offer a blend of urban activities and a laid-back beach town lifestyle.
How can I make my Los Angeles birthday party truly memorable?
- Pick a theme. Themed parties are always a good idea. And since we’re in Los Angeles, home to movie-making history, why not make your party movie-related? You can pick your favorite movie and imitate its style. Get creative with decorations, ask your guests to dress up as the characters from the production, maybe even serve movie-inspired food and drinks?
- Rent a venue by the beach. Besides bustling city life and movie history, Los Angeles is also known for its pristine beaches. Why not choose a beautiful beach location for your birthday party? Feel the West Coast breeze in your face, soak up the sunshine and enjoy stunning ocean views. Here are some of LA’s beach towns with great party venues:
- Santa Monica - Located west of Downtown LA, Santa Monica is the epitome of SoCal living. Famed for its beautiful beach, busy pier and amazing entertainment venues, this coastal location is dotted with great party spots ready to host your birthday! For example, check out The Galley Restaurant, the oldest restaurant and bar in Santa Monica, situated just a short stroll from the beach. You can rent the entire venue, the main restaurant space, or the gorgeous back patio.
- Venice - A popular beach city that draws a creative crowd with its bohemian vibe, street art and galleries lined along Abbot Kinney Boulevard. If you’re looking for cool birthday party places, Venice is a must.
- Malibu - One of LA’s quieter areas with secluded sandy beaches and celebrity homes. Tucked away west of Santa Monica, Malibu offers a refuge from the hustle and bustle, but it’s shy when it’s party time! Come here and feel like a celebrity.
- Long Beach - Located about an hour south of DTLA, Long Beach’s golden sands stretch for miles. Apart from that, it’s home to great restaurants, bars and other venues that lure crowds of entertainment seekers. If you want to celebrate your birthday with amazing harbor views in the background, we recommend Ballast Point Brewing with indoor and outdoor spaces that overlook the Pacific Ocean and the Long Beach Marina.
- Hermosa Beach - Considered a party-goer’s paradise, Hermosa Beach boasts some of the best nightlife spots in town! The choice of bars, clubs and live music venues can make your head spin!
- Party under the stars. If you want to make the best of the perfect Southern Californian weather, take your party outdoors! From cafes with patios and rooftop bars to private gardens, Los Angeles is filled with outdoor spaces perfect for celebrating your next birthday! Here are just some of our favorites:
- Rooftop at Casa Vertigo - A rooftop space for up to 50 people, boasting panoramic views of quintessential LA, from the Hollywood Hills to Downtown and on to the ocean.
- Patio at The San Fernando - Whether you're meeting friends for a night out or heading with the family, this is the place to be. Located in Glendale, this laid-back and casual venue is perfect for social gatherings.
- Backyard at Alley Lounge LA - A laid-back outdoor space with heaters, umbrellas, picnic tables, festoon lights and potted plants. Located on West Washington Boulevard in Culver City.
- Rent a yacht! Want to do something a little different for your birthday? Why not have a party on the water?! If you’re down, check out the amazing yacht rentals in Marina del Rey, a stunning location by the coast that houses the largest man-made marina in the US. Here are just a few yachts you can rent out for your unforgettable birthday party:
- 85’ Azimut - Take up to 11 of your guests on a cruise in this beauty, featuring sleek interiors, an outdoor lounge area and a jacuzzi!
- 85’ Sunseeker Manhattan - Characterized by timeless design and luxurious interiors, this modern yacht can comfortably fit up to 10 people for overnight adventures.
- 62’ Neptunus - Feel the wind in your face, explore the beautiful coastline and have a relaxed birthday with up to 11 guests.
- 70’ Chris-Craft - An exclusive yacht with enough space to fit 25 people. With four stylish cabins, 70’ Chris-Craft is ready to host your birthday celebrations.
- 60’ Carver - Designed like a modern home, 60’ Carver has all the facilities to make your party memorable.
- Choose a celebrities’ favorite location. If you want to treat yourself on your birthday or if you’re throwing a party for someone special in your life and want to make them feel like a movie star, you can book a space in one of the many LA locations loved by celebrities. Here’s where to look:
- Hollywood - Some of the most fun venues are located in West Hollywood, especially on the Sunset Strip, Melrose Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard. The famous Hollywood Boulevard is also worth your attention.
- Franklin Village - Located just north of Hollywood Boulevard, this area also boasts some celebrity loved spots, such as Birds or La Poubelle.
- Beverly Hills - One of the most popular areas in Los Angeles, synonymous with luxury and an excellent pick if you’re feeling glamorous.
- Malibu - A place where many celebrities have their homes, Malibu is also one of the favorite party destinations of the rich and famous.
- Santa Monica - Another coastal location that attracts celebrities with places such as the renowned Italian restaurant Giorgio Baldi.
Birthday Party Venues in Los Angeles FAQ
Where is a good place to host a birthday party in Los Angeles?
Check out some of our suggestions:
- Casa Vertigo - If you’re planning a large birthday party for many guests, the distinguished Casa Vertigo will be the perfect fit. Located on Oak Street in the very heart of Downtown LA, this historic site boasts a variety of flexible party spaces to choose from.
- The North End - Located on Yucca Street north of Hollywood Boulevard, this bar with speakeasy vibes and vintage interiors will be perfect for casual celebrations. Rent an intimate private booth or book the entire venue if you’re expecting a larger group of guests.
- The Oaks Tavern - A cozy, laid-back neighborhood bar based in Sherman Oaks. Try the amazing selection of craft beers and great cocktails, play some pool, sing your heart out at Karaoke and have an unforgettable birthday party!
Where in Los Angeles can I have a small birthday party?
Looking for a small birthday party venue for an intimate gathering? Explore these LA locations:
- Mistral Sherman Oaks - A classic French bistro located on Ventura Boulevard, with elegant decor. Rent the dining room with crystal chandeliers, the intimate patio or enjoy exclusive use of the entire space.
- Marmalade Cafe - A warm and cozy cafe based in Fairfax, with a homelike atmosphere, a great selection of drinks and tasty food. Situated next to the Original Farmer’s Market next to The Grove.
- El Coyote Cafe - A traditional Mexican restaurant with a rich history and characterful interiors. Located on Beverly Boulevard in Hollywood.
How much does it cost to rent a space for a birthday party in Los Angeles?
The costs of renting a birthday party space in Los Angeles may range from very affordable to quite pricey. Typically, prices for renting an event venue in Los Angeles start around $30 per person and can go higher depending on the venue’s standard and location. If you go for a space that charges per hour, expect the price to fall anywhere between $25 and $2000+.
How far in advance should I book a venue for my birthday party in Los Angeles?
A good rule of thumb is to book your venue as soon as you can for most events. Los Angeles is an extremely popular location and even though it offers a multitude of party spaces to choose from, the best of them get booked well in advance. So don’t wait until the very last minute and secure your birthday party venue at least 6 to 8 weeks before the date.