About this space
Located on the ground floor, the Lecture Theatre and Lower Library provides an inviting setting for conferences.
The Meeting Room is accessible through two doors from the Lower Library. This room is used for lectures and meetings of Society and related organisations. Refurbished as a lecture theatre in 1972-73, it had formerly been laid out in 'Parliamentary' style, the President seated on a throne-like chair on a raised dais at the end of the room.
The Theatre was refurbished with help from the Society's Petroleum Group in 1999, and then again for the Bicentenary in 2007. It was named the Janet Watson Lecture Theatre in 2009, in honour of Professor Janet Vida Watson FRS (1923-1985), of Imperial College London, the Society's first woman President (1982-1984).
The Lower Library was originally the Society's Main Library when the first floor rooms housed its museum collection. It is now used mainly to store foreign periodicals and is used for social gatherings and for refreshments when scientific meetings are being held in the Lecture Theatre.
Alcohol licence until 23:00